- AUM $115 million
(March 31, 2021)
- Inception Date 1983
- Vehicles Available
- Separate Account
- Our investment philosophy reflects our understanding that equity markets are both inefficient and risky.
- We believe that inefficiencies are greatest at the stock level and that over the long-term stock selection by active fund managers can add value in all equity asset classes.
- Attractive risk-adjusted returns can be achieved through a disciplined, bottom-up, stock selection process and a differentiated, risk-aware, portfolio construction process.
- Barings’ equity investment style is Growth at a Reasonable Price (GARP). We seek to identify companies which we believe are mispriced on a longer term basis, based on our understanding of management strategy and the potential for the company to improve returns and grow earnings.
- We value companies on a long term-term basis utilizing proprietary valuation models that incorporate ESG analysis and macro considerations.
Our Value Add
- Our Depth of Resources: We have a diversified global team of 50+ investment professionals, producing proprietary and differentiated company research, which drives our stock selection.
- Our Focus on a Five-Year Research Horizon: Our research horizon is five years. We believe the market inefficiency is more pronounced over this time horizon, allowing us to readily identify companies with unrecognized growth potential.
- Barings Cost of Equity: We capture and quantify both systematic and idiosyncratic risk via Barings’ proprietary Cost of Equity (COE). We incorporate these economic- and stock-specific potential risks into our valuation of equities and setting of price targets.
- Unique and Quantifiable Integration of ESG: We strongly believe that ESG analysis helps to identify risks that are not typically captured through traditional financial analysis. As a result, we have fully embedded ESG into our investment process, and by doing so, ESG has an influence on both our qualitative assessment and final Barings Cost of Equity of a company.
- Our Proprietary Portfolio Construction Tools: We believe the key to delivering high risk-adjusted returns is through company stock selection and robust risk management. We achieve this through the use of our proprietary, in-house portfolio construction tools.
ESG in Equities: Identifying Winners in the Energy Transition
Clean energy and anti-pollution initiatives will continue to impact the equity investment landscape—but not all companies will be winners, and careful analysis will be needed to identify those that stand to benefit and those that may see a threat to their business model.View
German Equities Present Opportunities to Combat Headwinds
In this Q&A, Rob Smith, Manager of the Barings German Growth strategy, shares his thoughts on how German equities are positioned to combat various headwinds, and which sectors the team expects future growth to come from.View
Why the German Equity Market is About More Than Autos
In this Q&A, Rob Smith, manager of the Barings German Growth Trust, shares his thoughts on how German equities are placed amid potential headwinds that include trade disputes with the U.S., Brexit and continued pressure on the autos sector.View