Real Estate Debt
- AUM $27.2 billion
(31 March 2021)
- Inception Date 18591
- Vehicles Available
- Separate Account
- Commingled Fund
Barings’ full spectrum of real estate lending capabilities and solutions enhances our market presence and generates opportunities across various property sectors, styles and up and down the capital stack. This approach enables us source investment opportunities through global networks, and maximize value through the entire investment life-cycle with an ability to assess relative value and attractive risk-adjusted returns across the real estate spectrum.
- Loan sizes typically $40 to $500M
- Affordable Housing Loan sizes from $5M to $100M
- LTVs from 50-85%
- All property types including Hotels and Affordable Housing
Direct Lending Solutions
- Core mortgages (perm financing)
- Bridge loans (Core+ and Value Add projects)
- Construction (whole loan and mezzanine)
- Forward commitments
Our Value Add
- Information Advantage: Our extensive network of offices in the local markets where we transact provides real-time feedback and trend monitoring, while collaboration with our real estate equity platform provides additional data-driven insights into pricing and trend visibility.
- Scale and Expertise: Demonstrated track record dating back to 1966 as a proven lender through multiple credit cycles consistently meeting the needs of borrowers and investors.
- Investment Approach: We’ve created a repeatable investment process combining local screening and centralized oversight by our cross-functional investment committee to ensure consistent credit criteria are applied to each potential investment.
- Global Sourcing: Our deep team of dedicated real estate debt origination professionals across the globe leverages our network of 1,900+ sourcing relationships to create significant deal flow from which to select attractive opportunities.
- Stable, proven track record across regions, asset classes and credit cycles. Our strong parent company backing encourages a long-term focus, and their investment alongside our clients through multiple market cycles creates an alignment of interests.
Where we Invest
- North America
- UK & Europe
- Australia / New Zealand
Barings is consistently active in a wide variety of private real estate debt financing activities:
- Lending on assets at all points in the property life cycle, from core loans on stabilized properties with steady cash flows to opportunistic loans on construction projects
- Providing financing at all points in the capital stack, from senior first mortgage loans to subordinate B-Notes, mezzanine loans, and preferred equity investments
- Originate mortgages secured by all major property types, including office, multifamily, retail, industrial, and hotel, as well as niche property types, including affordable housing
1 Lending and debt servicing activities prior to 2010 occurred at an affiliated firm.
The Structural and Cyclical Case for U.S. Real Estate Debt
While the ongoing disruption from the pandemic will put downward pressure on market fundamentals until the virus is no longer a threat, opportunities will likely emerge across the risk-return spectrum in advance of a recovery in demand and property income.View
Real Estate Debt: Europe’s Developing Opportunity
Barings Real Estate’s Sam Mellor describes the trends underpinning the structural growth of real estate debt in Europe, and compares and contrasts the asset class with other public and private fixed income alternatives.View
Seeking Opportunities Across Global Real Estate Markets
At Barings, we leverage our deep teams, global presence and expertise across the four quadrants of real estate as we seek to help our clients turn opportunities into real solutions.View
News & Events
Barings Finances Harborwalk at Plymouth Station Phase II
Barings to Finance Multifamily Affordable Housing Project in Houston’s Revitalization District
Barings Secures £250 Million Mandate to Invest in UK Real Estate Debt From Phoenix Group
Barings acquires land for Logistics Development in Madrid
Barings makes first investment in Sweden residential market with €128 million acquisition